LIU Update: Visit here for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

What application is required to apply for financial aid?
The electronic Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (Renewal FAFSA) are the only applications required to apply for most of the federal and state financial aid programs.

What is the Long Island University School Code for the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA?
Long Island University's FAFSA code is: 002751

Do students have to apply for financial aid every year?
Yes, all students must electronically complete a FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA every year.

How does a student apply for an academic scholarship from Long Island University's Hudson Graduate Centers?
Eligibility for academic scholarships and grants is determined at the time of a student's admission to the Campus. The Office of Admissions automatically reviews the academic records of all entering students to determine award eligibility.

What constitutes completion of the financial aid application process?
The financial aid application process is considered complete when the following exists:

  1. The results of a FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA are electronically sent to Long Island University's Brooklyn Campus
  2. If “Verification” of the FAFSA information is required, or comments exist on the Student Aid Report (SAR), all documentation/information has been received by the Office of Student Financial Services and all issues have been resolved.

How does a student know if they have to provide additional documentation to the Office of Student Financial Services?
The first document students will probably receive in the financial aid process is a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor, which is a result of the FAFSA or the Renewal FAFSA being completed and submitted. By reading the comment section, students can usually see if additional information will be required.
For example:

  • If a student has been selected for a process called “Verification,” a comment will appear telling the student this and advising them that he/she will be required to submit additional documentation to the Office of Student Financial Services.
  • If the student is a male applicant, and if Selective Service does not have the student in their database, he will be asked to provide documentation regarding his registration with that agency.
  • If a student's date of birth does not appear in the Social Security Administration database, he/she will be asked to provide evidence of their U.S. citizenship.
  • If the student is a permanent resident, and his/her name does not appear in the Immigration and Naturalization Service database, he/she will be asked to confirm this status as well.

This is a sampling of the types of messages students can read in the comment section of the Student Aid Report that will alert them to additional required documentation. Also, the Office of Student Financial Services may write the student, if they need to provide additional documentation to clarify their status.

After a student receives an award letter, will their funding ever change?
A student's award letter and funding can change if additional resources, not previously considered, are received on his/her behalf. Also, if changes are made to FAFSA information that result in a change of the student's eligibility, the result may be a revised award including a reduction in loan eligibility, etc.

Is there a difference between “need-based” and “merit-based” financial aid?
Yes there is. Need-based financial aid includes any grant, loan, scholarship, etc., that is offered based upon determined financial need that is the result of the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA. The Office of Student Financial Services determines this financial need. Merit-based aid is any scholarship, grant or other educational resource given to a student based upon academic achievement, community service, or involvement in a particular club, sport or program.

When is a student independent for financial aid purposes?
The two types of student status (dependent and independent) are regulated in legislation within the Higher Education Act, and are based on specific conditions. These conditions appear on the FAFSA and the Renewal FAFSA.
To be considered “independent,” a student must meet at least one of the following conditions:

  1. He/she is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  2. He/she is enrolled as a graduate student
  3. He/she is married
  4. He/she is an orphan or ward of the court or was a ward of the court until age 18
  5. He/she has legal dependents (other than a spouse) for whom they provide at least half support
  6. He/she meets specific definitions of homelessness or displacement

Students who do not meet at least one of these conditions are considered “dependent” students for financial aid purposes.

Do students have to complete the FAFSA to get loans?
Yes, to receive any type of financial aid, a student must electronically complete the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA.

What if a student is a non-degree or certificate student?
Generally, students must be fully matriculated in order to be eligible for financial aid. However, there are some alternative loan programs that are available to students in non-degree or certificate programs.

When do students begin repaying their loans?
After students graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, they have at least six months before they must begin repaying their loans. This is called the “Grace Period.” If students have borrowed Direct Subsidized Loans, they won't be charged any interest during their grace period. If students have borrowed any Direct Unsubsidized Loans, they will be responsible for the interest charged during their grace period. Students may either pay this interest as it accumulates or have it capitalized when they start repaying their loans. Repayment period begins the day after the grace period ends. The first payment will be due within 60 days after the repayment period begins.

What is the interest rate on Direct Loans?
The interest rate for both Direct Subsidized Loans is variable and is adjusted each year on July 1. The interest rate will be calculated differently depending upon several circumstances. The interest rate during the in-school, grace and deferment periods is equal to the 91-day Treasury bill rate plus 3.1 percentage points. By law, however, the interest rate can never exceed 8.25 percent.

The Servicing Center of the loan program will notify the student each year in writing about the interest rate that will go into effect on July 1. Note that the fixed amount students pay each month will be adjusted to account for any changes in the interest rate. The length of the student's repayment period will not be adjusted unless they request it by contacting the Servicing Center.

How do students make loan payments?
Students can pay by check every month or by Electronic Debit Account (EDA). If students elect to pay by check, they should send all loan payments to the Servicing Center. The address for mailing payments will appear on their billing statement. If students select EDA, loan payments will automatically be deducted from their checking account.

Is there a penalty for repaying Direct Loans early?
No. Students may prepay all or part of the unpaid balance on any Direct Loan at any time without penalty. They should be careful in specifying which loan they are prepaying. The Servicing Center will apply the prepayment first to any charges or collection costs, then to interest and last to principal.

What happens if students don't pay back their loans?
Students Direct Loans will become delinquent and will eventually go into default. Student loans are reported to major credit bureaus when they are 90 days late in payment. Default occurs when they are 180 days late in payment. The consequences of default are serious and can include a damaged credit rating, loss of eligibility for further federal student aid, withholding of wages and tax refunds and legal actions (such as lawsuits) being taken against students.

What happens if the student's Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized Loans are in repayment and they decide to go back to school?
Students may be eligible to postpone their loan payments with an in-school deferment if they are attending an eligible school at least half-time. If students are attending less than half-time and think they might have difficulty repaying their loans, they should contact the Servicing Center. Students may be able to obtain a forbearance to postpone their payments.

What should students do if they can't make any loan payments?
Students should immediately contact the Servicing Center. A representative will assist them in choosing a new repayment plan, applying for a deferment or forbearance, or making other necessary adjustments to help ensure that their loan payments are affordable.

What if students have problems repaying their loans?
If a student thinks he/she might have a problem making a scheduled payment on his/her loan, he/she should immediately contact the Servicing Center. The Servicing Center will work with any student to help them avoid the costs and the adverse consequences of delinquency or default on their Direct Loans. There are several options available to help them avoid default, such as changing repayment plans, deferment or forbearance.